Monday, March 18, 2019

Bear, Dog, basically the same, right?

 Black Bear vs. Black Dog

My family and I live in the Colorado Rockies in harmony with black bear, coyote, mountain lion, fox, deer, elk, and a plethora of gorgeous creatures. I have always had people ask the inevitable question, "Aren't you afraid the bears or lions will eat your children?"  About 18 years ago I received my evidence of the answer. My then 11 year old daughter was out on the back of the property on a warm summer day bouncing on the trampoline and listening to her Ipod. As she was walking back to the house she bumped into something big black and furry while looking down at the Ipod (typical kid). She assumed that it was Oscar, our Newfoundland pup and proceeded to slap it on the backside and say, "Hey, Oscar, move along and get inside!" However, she realized something felt wrong and looked up and saw a black bear looking back at her. My daughter said the black bear looked hurt and she seemed to say, "what did I do wrong?"
            My daughter felt so sorry she had smacked the bear. She patted it on the back and apologized as she walked toward the kitchen door.
            Wow!  What a dangerous creature--NOT! The bear knew my daughter meant no harm. We choose to live in concert with the bears and respect them by not interfering with their everyday lives.
Please share this story when you have a chance. Do you have your own to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment